You are here

Chatfield left contemplating what might have been

With just twelve minutes left at the Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium yesterday afternoon, Toolstation NCEL Division One bottom side FC Bolsover were edging towards their first precious point of the season at high-flying Selby Town; but by the final whistle, The Robins had reaffirmed their promotion credentials with two late strikes to take the three points, and leave Bolsover Manager, Matt Chatfield contemplating what might have been, writes Colin Muncie.

Selby hit the front after just eleven minutes through Liam Flanagan, and held that slender advantage at the break in front of the 145 crowd at Richard Street; but Brett Lucas levelled for the visitors just before the hour mark to set up a fascinating finale. Flanagan again, though (78 minutes) and Carl Stewart two minutes later clinched another three-point haul for Selby.

Understandably, Bolsover Manager, Matt Chatfield cut a disconsolate figure after the game. “I’m disappointed to have lost the game and not come away with something,” he told us. “In the first half we put in a good display; we were difficult to break down and were frustrating Selby,” Matt reported. “We knew about their front three and wanted to try to limit their chances to play through us. The only disappointing thing about the first half was the free kick that we conceded; all the hard work ruined by a lapse in concentration which lead to a rash challenge.”

“In the second half we pushed on and started trying to commit more players to attacking phases, looking to get back on level terms,” Matt told TBG. “To be honest, I think we dominated the first 25 mins of the second half; we scored from a corner and then if it hadn’t been for an unbelievable save from Selby’s goalkeeper, we would have gone 2-1 up. However, we must start taking chances when we are on top; because if we don’t, teams like Selby are going to come back at us, and that’s what happened. They scored a goal out of nowhere and then finished the game strongly.”

“Credit to our lads” Matt insisted “Selby should have been out of sight at half time and if we were talking about the first ten games of the season, we would have been 4-0 down at half time; but we weren’t, which gave us the belief that we could still get something out of the game in the second half. It just wasn’t our day. We wish Selby all the best for the season.”

Credit to Matt who had kind words for the referee and assistants. “The officials today were very good, honest and spoke to us like humans,” he reported. “That was refreshing – so credit where credit is due.”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: