Widdowson took time out to congratulate both sets of players on a fine game in terrible weather

After a last-minute own goal secured a point for Shirebrook Town in a thrilling Toolstation NCEL Division One 2-2 draw away at East Yorkshire Carnegie, Town Joint Manager, Alan Widdowson took time out to congratulate both sets of players on a fine game in terrible weather, writes Colin Muncie. (Main photograph by Nigel Owen)

Watched by 52 hardy souls at Dunswell Park, Ryan Williams gave EYC a 34th minute lead, but Carter Widdowson levelled for Shirebrook 4 minutes before the interval. Josh Walker restored the home side’s advantage after 68 minutes, and the late leveller saw the points shared.

Alan paid tribute to the players. “They were the worst conditions I have ever witnessed in football,” he insisted. “So first of all, I would like to give the utmost credit to both sides for making it a very good game. We started well against the wind without creating anything in the final third. Our defence and ‘keeper in the first half hour were fantastic and withstood all that E.Y.C threw at us, but our own mistake and not being able to clear our lines resulted in the penalty, which was put away.”

“We then had more urgency up top and we got our equaliser through a brilliant free kick from Carter Widdowson,” Alan went on. “We said at half-time that we needed to step up our work rate, but E.Y.C created the better chances and took a deserved lead with a very good individual goal. From then on it was all us creating chance after chance without really troubling their keeper. Carter Widdowson then had his free kick strike the bar and then, from his corner, hit the bar again. With minutes to go Brad Swain somehow guided his free header wide and I thought “that’s that”; but with virtually the last effort a long ball into their box was headed in by their defender and the game finished 2-2.”

“Overall, a fair result in horrendous conditions,” was Alan’s take on the draw. “I’m very pleased to come away with a point.”

Leave a Reply