You are here

Owen picked out by both sides as Shirebrook narrowly defeat Harworth

Two goals within four first half minutes by Sam Martin shaped the outcome of the Shirebrook Town v Harworth Colliery game at Langwith Road yesterday, Ben Partridge reducing the arrears for the visitors in the second half, writes Ian Robinson.

It was certainly the proverbial game of two halves according to Town Manager Alan Widdowson, who told us “We started the game slowly and it took us a while to get going but once we did, we started to dominate possession and created some very good chances with our fast passing play and pace. Fair play to Harworth they did have a few chances but Levi (Owen) managed to keep them out. We took a deserved lead with good wing play down the left by Tom Widdowson who pulled it back and it eventually fell to Sam Martin who stuck it away. Five minutes later Sam Martin again finished off another brilliant move and we went in at half time deservedly 2-0 ahead.”

Before speaking of a totally different second half, Alan commented on some refereeing decisions that he wasn’t totally happy about, saying “I did think that Harworth were lucky to have eleven men on the field as two shocking tackles went unpunished. The second half was a totally one sided affair as Harworth threw everything at us creating numerous chances. They did get one back but that was it. Still they came at us trying for the equaliser but the luck was on our side and we held out for the three points. A big mention for the back four of Brad Swain, Brad Wison, Chris Timons and Carter Widdowson together with keeper Levi. I thought that was an heroic and truly outstanding performance from them all, they threw their bodies into tackles and blocks where others wouldn’t, so my hat goes off to them. Harworth totally battered us in the second half and they stood tall and put in a fantastic defensive display.”

“We move on now to next week and hope to bring 2018 to a close with another three points. Happy Xmas to one and all from Shirebrook Town FC.”

Meanwhile Harworth Manager, Lee Needham cut a very frustrated figure at full time, as he told TBG, “I feel like a broken record each time I speak to you. I feel like I’m saying the same things and it stands again. I can’t believe we haven’t won the game, the goals we have conceded were very poor and we know we can’t defend like that but the second-half it was like a training session where you do attack versus defence. We hit the bar three times and then the post, and had a goal disallowed. I feel the luck simply has to change. I have never seen anybody in live football hit the inside of the post and it not go in, but I’ve now seen it twice in four weeks.”

Like his opposite number, Lee picked out Shirebrook keeper Owen as the key player in the game. “I have to take my hat off to their keeper, what a performance! I’m not sure how he did it but he has literally made saves that warrant playing well above this standard of football, he was the Man of the Match without a doubt.”

“Sitting with (Assistant Manager) Dave (Rushbury) in the clubhouse afterwards and we both just said – how have we not got anything from that game. The referee came across before he went and said he’d refereed just about all the teams in this league and couldn’t work out how a) we’ve got nothing from the game and b) how we are in the position we are, but I suppose that’s football.” “We are very aware of what areas we need to improve on. We can’t give teams goals like we do, that has to change but we are going in the right direction as far as performances are concerned and we now need to change them into results.”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: