REPORT: Grimsby Borough 3 Armthorpe Welfare 0

Welfare’s poor run of results continued as they went down to a 3-0 defeat away to a strong Grimsby Borough outfit, writes Steve Pennock.

Although still without the suspended Gareth Roberts as well as the unavailable Darren Mansaram Welfare welcomed Josh O’Neill back into the side after serving a one-match suspension.
Grimsby started the game well but it was Welfare who had the first real chance when Josh Dodd’s chipped pass to the far post saw Liam Radford meet the ball with a header that forced goalkeeper Scott Drury to push the ball around the post after just 5 minutes.
However, the home side took the lead on 13 minutes when Daniel Trott picked up the ball on the right following a poor clearance and he made his way towards the box before firing in a shot which took a deflection as it flew past Adam Stevens into the top left hand corner.
Welfare had a chance to respond less than a minute later when Dodd was picked out as he made a great run into the box but he was denied by a great last ditch tackle by Josh Sunter as he shaped to shoot.
Despite Grimsby looking dangerous every time they attacked it was far from one-way traffic as Welfare forced a string of corners but were unable to carve out a decent opportunity from them.
On 29 minutes a quick break by the home side saw a deep cross from the left met on the volley by Peter Winn inside the box but Stevens pulled off a fine save to dive to his right and push the ball past the post.
At the other end, a short corner by Dodd was played to Radford who cut inside before seeing his low angled shot blocked at the near post but on 38 minutes Grimsby extended their lead when a ball into the box from the left was controlled by Trott before the big striker drilled a low shot past Stevens.
Welfare had shown enough in the first half to believe that they could still get something from the game but two minutes after half time the game was effectively over as Grimsby made it 3-0. Callum Lovitt was sent clear but Stevens pulled off a great save to push away Lovitt’s shot, only for the rebound to fall to Jack Debnam who fired the ball into the empty net.
Welfare’s last real chance came on the hour mark when a defensive slip by the home side let in Radford who bore down on goal before shooting agonisingly wide from just inside the box with only Drury to beat.
Debnam broke through the Welfare defence on 67 minutes and shot wide but Grimsby seemed content with their day’s work and Welfare could only huff and puff but not really make any further impact of the home defence.
In stoppage time Grimsby substitute Harry Burke looked well placed to add a fourth goal but he was denied by a great tackle from Tyler Walker.
Welfare : Stevens, Larcombe-Loftus, Betts, O’Neill, Garner (Finley 74 mins), Bucknall (Vinten 58 mins), Walker, Aspinall, Radford, Williams, Dodd (Paskell 68 mins)
Referee : Mr. D. Carratt
Attendance : 74

Leave a Reply